Wednesday, May 2, 2007

A Rare Baker's Triple Play




Three items have survived the gluten-free launch pad in the past week, rocketing my gluten-free baking statistics into the stratosphere. First, I cooked up a fantastic Ginger Cake, after seeing the recipe on Mrs. G.F.'s excellent gluten-free cooking blog. Check it out, she really has some great recipes posted there. I made the cake exactly as she describes, thinking that 1/2 cup of minced ginger was maybe a typo, but proceeding anyway. It is a very aromatic and lovely textured cake, with the pieces of ginger sort of getting caramelized and mellowed by baking. If you love the strong taste of ginger beer, you will love this cake. It is great with a cup of tea. I didn't have coconut milk on hand to whip up the chocolate icing, so I just made a buttercream frosting for the top and it paired well. A big hit with Dan.

Next up was to cook up the bag of gluten-free breadstick mix that I had gotten from the Risotteria Restaurant in New York City in February. All went well and they were eaten immediately by all the Jags. I will try making up some more with other bread mixes and see how that goes.

The third baking triumph was a batch of Coffee Cake Muffins from Elizabeth Barbone's Easy Gluten-Free Baking cookbook that I blogged about last month. I already divulged her luscious Lemon Bars recipe, so it wouldn't be fair to give out more recipes, but you can check out her Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe on her own blog. I'm very pleased with this cookbook. Everything that I've made has turned out just great and I am happy with the detailed instructions and common ingredients she uses.

2 comments:

Missy said...

Hi---Rachel: I am so happy to come across your wheat-free veggie blog, i was answering a question posted by a lady looking for a wheatless vegetarian cookbook. She was having trouble finding one. I gave her the link to your blog and i also posted your link on my directory. Let me know if this is o.k. with you?

There are so many different types of vegetarians out there, who knew. Keep on blogging.

Rachel said...

Thank you for your link, that's great to keep sharing our vegetarian, gluten-free recipes and cooking experiences.

Be sure to check out the Book of Yum and Gluten-Free Goddess blogs, which are both great vegetarian, gluten-free resources. I've made several of the recipes on each site, and they're great. Also great photos and reading! You can see their links on the right-hand side of the screen under "Our Favorite Websites". There is also a cookbook which I haven't checked out yet, called "The Gluten-Free Vegetarian Kitchen" by Donna Klein, which other gluten-free bloggers have recommended.

Happy Cooking!